NMA: Project 2

     "We have now become aware of the possibility of arranging the entire human environment as a work of art, as a teaching machine designed to maximize perception and to make every day learning a process of discovery" (p. 69, McLuhan). What I interpreted from this reading is that McLuhan thinks we as a society need to stop and slow down and look at what we have created around us. Not just paintings, prints, and films, but the spaces we display them and the places we make them. 

    For my video, I decided to film myself at the local art museum to represent the idea of the environment being a work of art. How I executed it was by recording myself moving in the space and doing what society is deemed as appropriate for the space, viewing art. But the viewer of the video is meant to observe me and to space, not the art, which is why I chose to have my friend film me at an angle where I am to main focus and not the art and to discover the atmosphere around me.

    For the audio, I used two audio recordings layered on top of each other. One is the complete silence of the museum and the second on it a recording of my small fan. I chose this because I wanted to recreate a similar sound I hear when I clear my mind and try not to think of anything so I can take in more of my surroundings.

Comments

Popular Posts